CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Alabama 101

I've been living in Alabama just shy of a month now. It has been a culture shock to me for sure. I was born and raised in Maryland. It was quite a rural area, but it was Maryland. I have also lived in Virginia, North Carolina and spent some time in Georgia. Alabama is so different. Here are a few things that I have learned about Alabama since I've been here. I haven't ventured too far from the Fort Rucker area, so there may be some much nicer areas.

1. The hot cars are Camaros and Jeep Wranglers. I'm not sure if that's more of a military thing, but I see them everywhere.
2. People who are actually from around here either talk so slow, you have a hard time focusing because you've thought of a million things you could be doing while they are taking their sweet time talking. Or, their accent is so thick, you're lucky to catch every other word.
3. There is a church on every corner and in between the corners!
4. Family Dollar and Dollar General are almost as numerous as churches.
5. There's a few Fred's Dollar Stores around here. I don't know why, but the name just cracks me up.
6. This is a typical house in this area.
*Not really typical, but I promise I took this picture! Well, my dad did using my phone. My mom and I were driving back from the biggest town around and both saw it. We both got quiet and later discovered we were both deciding if this was real, or we were just seeing things! Please, if this is your house or a family member's house, don't be offended. I've never seen anything like it!
7. Everyone that I've talked to so far who is stationed here for the military is bored out of their minds. I even overheard two woman talking at the library last week about it. One said this was her second time coming here. The other lady asked if she was happy to be back. Her reply was a simple no! It was quite funny!
8. The only grocery stores in the town where I live are called Pic-N-Save and Grocery Outlet. Can I get a Kroger, please? There is a Publix in the next town, but they do not double coupons. If you know me at all, it's killing me!
9. When asking where the closest "insert any type of store here" is even after saying you're new to the area, everyone gives me directions as if I've lived here my whole life. I am directionally challenged, I know, but a newcomer will not know where that is, people!
10. I'm thankful to be so close to my husband and see him on the weekends! I can deal with all this knowing I get to see him Saturday morning!

0 comments:

Post a Comment